Coming from a stylist planted and raised in Malibu, I would have to say “summer” is my season, like it or not.
Every year when Spring hit us and my clients started jetting away to every hotspot on the planet I had "Tropical Hair Care" cards printed up (so I had less to fix when they returned). Not that I minded fixing their hair, I just truly was and am a stylist that cares about the condition of hair, all hair. With the history of Vidal Sassoon as my home and heart there really isn’t any other way I would or should’ve ended up, they stress condition-condition-condition there and not till I was fully wrapped up in Salon work did I realize how that would pan out.
For most Stylists I notice they pay it no mind, I mean if a client doesn’t care why should they . . . That’s not how I work or think. . . I am forever teaching and instructing on how to take the absolute best care of your hair, I guess it will never go away. Which again is OK, the people that listen get the benefits…and with the new YAHOO ANSWERS “hair” category I get all the teaching & preaching I need to fill my cup. Remember my silly goal of wanting to fix all the "bad hair" on the planet...
KC's "Tropical" Hair Care Card...said the following:
- Chlorine from swimming pools or salt water from the ocean can destroy and damage both hair and hair color.
- Carry with you or be sure to purchase on landing a 6-12 or 24 pack of “soda” water that can be purchased in any city of any country I have ever had anyone go to.
- Purchase as much as you guess you will be in the water. If you are going for a 3 day weekend to Cabo, purchase 2 -3 bottles per day you are there.
- Each time you exit the pool or ocean after cooling off or swimming if there is no clean water shower handy, pour a bottle of the soda water on the hair. The carbonation stops all action of the chlorine, chemicals and salt from doing any damage to the hair and as soon as is practical without disrupting the day, get yourself to a shower and shampoo with Malibu 2000, either UN DO GOO, WELL WATER or SWIMMERS shampoo that you brought with.
- The last important thing I think should be done ? ...the vacation should NOT be altered or ruined because of “hair”. That’s silly and ridiculous, especially because most people I know are so focused on career that if they ever do take the time to get away, for Jiminy Christmas - E N J O Y IT Bozo!.... the last thing you should do . . . is worry about hair. You know I can fix anything.
I had people do this for years with pretty good success and still remember the one week a Law student from Pepperdine went to Puerto Vallarta… this was a girl who had very long - very blond hair, & was going a full week . I was sure she would have some light lime green in the hair, her hair was just so very light blond and she was young and partied a lot. To my surprise, she was completely green-less, I was dumbfounded, and still remember thinking wow she must have stayed out of the pool.
Only to find out she had gone in 3 times every day as well as at least once a day in the ocean, " I followed your soda water routine - when we landed I bought a case and just made sure every single time I went in the water I had some bottles with me," she said!
There was the lesson of my life! There was the proof I needed to know how really truly well my plan worked, if she was 100% completely green-free as well as the condition of her hair was truly remarkable, it was like she had never left. To this day I am thrilled this was such a great answer, mainly because I came up with it before I ever began my chemistry training !
Hip Hop Hooray, remember this trick this summer as you cruise to the beach with nothing but a surfboard and towel on your back . . . . . . .
its such a simple trick to the destructive and damaging forces of chlorine, Sun, salt water and UVA & UVB rays on the gentle hair strands.