April 6, 2013

Can Boxed Hair Color Truly Produce Highlights and Lowlights ?

One of the more absurd boxed Hair Color commercials shows a beautiful woman "Kate" with her
supposed husband in a Voice-over roll speaking about her beauty "remaining the same" over the years (with supposedly this boxed hair color being the reason for her still youthful beauty - I GUESS!!). He is explaining how his life has changed so much......" 4 moves, 3 kids & 2 jobs"......but she has always remained the same. As if, his wife's hair, never got gray because she uses this ridiculous Box of Hair Color. First of all, I want everyone to know, that this is NOT HIS WIFE. TV commercials are cast, just like movies or TV shows are (see below). They look long and hard for the 2-3-4, etc.. people (the child is an actor too) that are cast in a national commercial like that .... and why? ..... because a helluva lot of money is as stake. P & G has to pay these actors every single time this commercial plays, it is a "national ranked commercial", which means that from 1 or 2 days work these actors put in to shoot the commercial, they could bring in a high 6 figure income! A TV commercial in hair color is never an honest endeavor, I hope everyone realizes that.....but this one stuck out more than most to me so I felt I must at least explain ...'why', for those that are new to Killerstrands.

So this boxed Hair Color's main point was that this $8.00 Box-O-Crap could give your hair both
highlights and lowlights similar to this 'woman's hair' when she was younger (is the premise).  Which is scientifically and chemically impossible to do. So, the fact that they boldly advertise this box to be able to pull off a Coloring trick that takes a highly skilled Colorist to accomplish, when false advertising is illegal in this country, infuriates me.  The next time you are confused by what politicians in Washington are getting paid off for ... remember this to relate it to your life. 

I'm sure many of you at one time or another may have had foils in your hair, or if not, may have seen them in someones hair, right? There is a very specific reason we use foils, which is to apply different colors inside those foils, so the result is....a multitude of colors giving a more authentic and youthful appearance when finished. Before foils there was a weird apparatus called a cap and hook...where they would yank small bits of hair thru to also impart color differences, which hurt peoples head too much so, foils were developed. No one has developed any further technique's because foils are as close to painting on individual colors as we have found.  But, here is where the art gets tricky........you know how there are rules for coloring the hair? Well, all of those rules pertain to individual foil work as well. Which means you cannot just apply any color on top of another hair color or it won't work. All of the hair color rules that pertain to the Killer 14 questions still need to be applied to the foils in order for the colors to end up the same. You still need to have a lighter hair color underneath if you plan on applying a lighter color on top, and so on. The Art of Hair Color and looking natural is no small feat.

So, it is insulting to my career and to the art of hair color, that this commercial gives false hopes to women who don't have access to possibly foils and foilwork. If you are going to advertise quit giving false hope when you know for a fact that it is not chemically possible to give both highlight and lowlights when you apply one color. I mean listen to how ridiculous the sentence evens sounds. 

Come on P & G, GET WITH IT.

KC

(Full disclosure: I want to say that I support P & G in one facet of hair coloring, as I support Wella : Color Touch and Koleston Perfect Professional Hair Color, which they bought from a Private owner about 2 years back, I tried a couple other brands and none were as good as Wella, so I returned.)


About This Commercial

DescriptionThis commercial shows a man talking about his wife Kate. He says that although he has aged, his wife still looks more beautiful than ever. In one step, with color blend technology,    ________ is proven to give more blends of tones versus untreated hair.
Advertiser   (Airing Rank: 248)
AgencyGrey Global Group Inc.
MoodActive
Tagline“The Color Experts”
Screenshots

Products

Featured Product
More Product

People, Places & Things

ActorsAlex Kendall (Model) – Plays Husband
MusicKnow the song?
4 comments on "Can Boxed Hair Color Truly Produce Highlights and Lowlights ?"
  1. I just found your blog and reading this stopped me dead in my tracks from buying a box of color-yay! Thanks! So I want to try the oil bleach kit-can I use that to do my own foil highlights? I looked at your post about that. I want to try to put a few light blond highlights into my dark blonde hair. Have done it professionally and tired of going into the salon for it.
    Can I do a consultation with you-do I purchase the kit and consultation? I know highlighting can be complicated so I'd love to consult to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't use oil bleach kit for highlights, it is an oily consitency and slides out of foils..
    always use the right tool for the job.
    In other words, use powder lightener and developer.
    Highlights are kind of history, maybe try another idea?
    Try a consultation - although I don't decide hair color ideas ( when I don't have hair in my hands
    hope that helps
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is completely uninformed and so very very condescending. There are other methods besides just the foils. The boxes often come with finger tip covers for touch on highlights so you can easily choose strands on which to put highlights, lowlights and colors. I use $8-$15 boxes of color with highlights and lowlights. Painfully easy to do. Saves me buckets of money, as salons are typically overpriced. A coloring at a salon near me of the type I do at home would be $90-$120 and my hair grows quickly, so it would be this cost each month. I color every 4 weeks on my own and my hair looks Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I receive thousands of emails yearly, and that is what I go off of I don't just make this up I can promise you that and I worked in a very high priced Salon for years and we would call them "Boxeys" and weekly dozens of women would come in for repairs, in those days I had none of them as clients so I never knew what their stories truly were ... I only found out when I began this.

    I do not exaggerate about that, I find it tragic.

    I'm happy it works for you.
    Of course they work on some people otherwise 1 company wouldn't rake in $50 million a year on Boxed hair color.....they are made in China and Mexico for pennys I hear.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Please do not include: references to personal information, or any profane, inflammatory or copyrighted comments. We would appreciate it if we all stick to the subject of HAIR . Have a wonderful day.

a

a